Irish citizenship for spouse

Discussion about Irish Immigration & Visa issues.
Please Note: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information presented here. Use it at your own risk
mnchd
Antispam: No

Irish citizenship for spouse

Post by mnchd » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:01 pm

I recently got an Irish citizenship. Does my spouse who is also living with me in Ireland for past 5 years can apply for Irish citizenship as technically she is married to an Irish citizen? Or does she have to wait another 3 years to apply it?

Below is what I could find on citizenship for spouse -

You must be married to or in a recognised civil partnership* with the Irish citizen for at least 3 years
You must have had a period of 1 year's continuous reckonable residence - see below - in the island of Ireland immediately before the date of your application, and during the 4 years preceding that, have had a total reckonable residence in the island of Ireland amounting to 2 years. Altogether you must have a total of 3 years reckonable residence out of the last 5 years.

pradeepjha

Re: Irish citizenship for spouse

Post by pradeepjha » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:42 pm

Following...

balac_m
Seasoned Member

Post by balac_m » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:47 pm

mnchd wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:01 pm
I recently got an Irish citizenship. Does my spouse who is also living with me in Ireland for past 5 years can apply for Irish citizenship as technically she is married to an Irish citizen? Or does she have to wait another 3 years to apply it?

You must be married to or in a recognised civil partnership* with the Irish citizen for at least 3 years
You must have had a period of 1 year's continuous reckonable residence - see below - in the island of Ireland immediately before the date of your application, and during the 4 years preceding that, have had a total reckonable residence in the island of Ireland amounting to 2 years. Altogether you must have a total of 3 years reckonable residence out of the last 5 years.
I cannot find any documentation regarding that. I hope it should be fine once you become an Irish citizen. You can apply for the spouse and your children if they are in Ireland for three years.

On the link below
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/m ... ation.html#

it has been mentioned that

Minister can waive the 5 year requirements to 3 years
  • If you are a naturalised parent applying on behalf of a minor child
    If you are the spouse or civil partner of an Irish citizen or a naturalised person
further, it reads

For spouses and civil partners of Irish citizens, you can apply for naturalisation after 3 years of marriage or civil partnership and 3 years of reckonable residence in Ireland.

For children of adults who have received citizenship by naturalisation, the child must generally have lived in Ireland for 3 years.

So, I hope you can go ahead and apply.

gvgdhar
Seasoned Member

Post by gvgdhar » Tue May 25, 2021 6:12 am

mnchd wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:01 pm

She can apply on her own if all those 5yrs are reckonable residence.